Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Behind the Blog: Lindsay of The Garden Apartment


1) MB: When & why did you start blogging?
LH: I started blogging in December of 2012. I had read a lot of blogs for a while, and they all seemed to have a lot of getting new things, and that didn't seem realistic to me. In my life, I focus a lot on trying to live smartly and sustainably, and I wanted to document my challenges and ideas with that.

2)   MB: What’s the greatest thing that’s come out of blogging?
LH: The greatest thing about blogging is the network of people I've been able to meet. Bloggers have really been very kind and outgoing group, and I feel like we are all constantly swapping ideas and information and helping each other out with each others sites.

3)  MB: When you’re not blogging, what can you be found doing?
LH: When I'm not blogging, I can be found either working or working out. I'm trying to make my health a priority this year, so I'm trying to go to the gym at least three times a week. I work for as a marketing consultant for a telecom firm, and I'm starting my own website design and development company called White Oak Creative. It should be going live in March 2014. 

4)   MB: If you were stranded on a desert island, what would you would take with you?
LH: I would take my toolbox. I feel like my toolbox with its contents could be the exception to the "one thing" because I'm pretty proud of the toolbox I've acquired over the years. I've built up a good assortment based on the DIY projects that I've done, and those should help me on a desert island. 

5)   MB: What’s the one piece of advice you would share with bloggers just starting out? 
LH: For blogger's that are just starting out, there's two technical things that I would make sure you are doing: First, make sure you blog directs properly. For example, you can type in "thegardenapt.com" or "www.thegardenapt.com," and they both will take you to my site, but I see countless bloggers who don't have that fixed. It's usually with people who use Blogger. Secondly, make sure your pictures are the full-width of your post. You can resize them before uploading them. It gives your blog a more professional, elegant look. Above all, do and write about what you love. Blogging is not working; it's you. Your hobby, your journal, your personal experience. Make sure it is you.

6)  MB:  What’s your “can’t live without” piece in your closet, kitchen,  home etc?
LH: I can't live without my coffee mug. I use the same one each day, washing it out after use. I'm very much a creature of habit, and I love that my morning starts with that beautiful little cup.

7)   MB: On a Friday night, what can you be found doing?
LH: On Friday night, I could be either meeting up with girlfriends for a little cocktail hour, or I'm at home cooking with my boyfriend Adam. By Friday, I'm often so tired that I just want to stay-in. A new homemade meal plus a movie is my favorite.

8)  MB:  How do you balance blogging with a work/social life?
LH: That's a very good question. I don't think I'm there yet, but I have tried a few things. I always make an editorial calendar that runs about 4-6 weeks ahead. I keep a notebook of just ideas and concepts. I also try to blog ahead when possible. Either Saturday or Sunday, I will write and create for about 3 hours. I've also started using Buffer to schedule my social media posts on the new content that I have up. It is a time saver. 

9)  MB:  What’s your favorite quote? Or what’s a quote that describes you?
LH: “You have to pick the places you don't walk away from.” by Joan Didion. I have a few favorite quotes from her, but I think that's one of my favorites because it always reminds me to keep in touch with those I love.

10) MB:  What’s your dream job if you haven’t landed it yet?
LH: I think starting my own website development business is my dream job right now. I like designing and building websites, and I'm fortunate that I will be able to do that full-time.

11)  MB: Guilty pleasures?
LH: Strangely enough my guilty pleasures are more health foods, but I could eat these for days: kale chips cooked with lemon juice and sauerkraut. I really like reading a good vogue or allure magazine on a lazy day, and I'm a sucker for fashion documentaries.

12) MB:  What’s your favorite “little thing” in life?
LH: My favorite little thing is cooking with my boyfriend, or maybe just being in the kitchen as he's cooking. We'll split a beer or a bottle of wine, and we'll go through our days with each other as we prepare a delicious meal. It is very ordinary, but that's my favorite time of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment