Monday, March 3, 2014

Behind the Brand: Beauty for Bloggers

HAIR/STYLING BY MARITZA BUELVAS
IMAGE BY JEFF ROSAL

Name: Maritza Buelvas

Location: Suburban Chicago

Job: Hair Artist + Instructor, Web Designer


Favorite Color: White

Favorite Quote: "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams" Eleanor Roosevelt

What is Beauty for Bloggers?

Beauty For Bloggers is a fun series of hair and makeup skill-based workshops for beauty enthusiasts, editors and artisans. Focused on trade-secret artistry lessons and beauty business skill building, classes are designed around hands-on demonstration, step-by-step live tutorials and discussion.  

HAIR/STYLING BY MARITZA BUELVAS
MAKEUP BY BRENDA ARELANO
IMAGE BY BRITTA MARIE PHOTOGRAPHY

What is your professional background? 
I've been doing professional beauty styling for over 10 years with a background stemming in both artistry and business. I have a MA in IO Psychology which is the psychology of business and marketing. I've also had the pleasure of teaching branding at Oakton College and writing for John Paul DeJoria's JP Selects and Giuliana Rancic's Fab Fit Fun. And because the business of beauty demands making a powerful presence online, I've taught myself how to design websites. 

When did you launch Beauty For Bloggers?
I started doing the research and designing of the site in 2013 and launched in January 2014. I've had a successful track record of working as an in-demand bridal and photo shoot hair artist and made it a goal to start teaching as part of my beauty repertoire in 2014..

What made you start Beauty For Bloggers?
I've been fortunate to consistently be asked, "How did you do that with my hair?" and, "Can you teach me how to replicate this look?" enough times that I decided to put requests and compliments into action. I thought it would be pretty cool to design a distinct series of affordable workshops to dissect the latest hair and beauty trends and teach fast and easy ways to translate Pinterest-worthy looks. 

And because most fashionable girls have a blog, and on-location hmau artists need to have one, the name Beauty For Bloggers rolled of my tongue one day...and it stuck! It's catchy. Beauty For Bloggers teaches beauty enthusiasts, beauty bloggers and hair/makeup artists, how-to look good on and off camera while gaining techniques to style oneself and their client base.

HAIR/STYLING BY MARITZA BUELVAS
IMAGE BY JEFF ROSAL

Where can we find Beauty for Bloggers?
At www.beautyforbloggers.com and on Twitter @maritzahairguru and our new Facebook.

What sets Beauty for Bloggers apart?
Workshops are designed for both the beauty blogger and artisan. Classes are personalized and non-intimidating. Newbies and established artists are welcome. Workshops are customized to individuals, small to large groups, makeup artists, hair stylists, editors, the everyday girl and those wanting to break into the lucrative field of bridal beauty.

STYLING BY MARITZA BUELVAS
IMAGE BY JEFF ROSAL

What is your ultimate goal for Beauty for Bloggers?
I would like to get girls excited about learning trade beauty secrets and techniques in a party-like atmosphere.  I want attendees to dress up in fun outfits that express their fashion sense (and their blog) and be prepared to dive into the world of beauty. I want women to make beauty their business...even if they're just going to the supermarket. Beauty doesn't have to be a burden; it should be fun and an important aspect to your daily life...and your blog! That's one of the reasons I named my first workshop, Blogger Off Duty - a take on the popular model off duty way of life.

What does your first workshop, Blogger Off Duty, on March 16th entail?
In honor of my first class, I'm currently seeking a small number of select Chicago-based bloggers who wish to participate in a complimentary hair workshop demonstration called Blogger Off-Duty. In addition to valuable live-instruction, participants will receive a professional bio picture with awesomely styled hair. It's going to be fun...promise!  Class will be held at KH Photography on 1001 West Webster in Lincoln Park. 

Bloggers will quickly learn how to re-create popular looks and serve as models for the class to receive personalized training and hands-on styling by me. Once styled, participants will take a professional head shot they can use for their blog.  
Interested participants are asked to email maritzabuelvasdesigner@gmail.com - subject: Blogger Off-Duty  with name, email and cell number, website address, social media links and current bio picture.  
HAIR/STYLING BY MARITZA BUELVAS
MAKEUP BY BRENDA ARELANO
IMAGE BY BRITTA MARIE PHOTOGRAPHY

When you're not working on Beauty for Bloggers, what can you be found doing? 
Being a wife, raising our two little boys, designing websites and providing hair artistry for weddings and photo shoots.

What's something most people don't know about you?
I actually have a statue of myself in Downtown Chicago. Crazy...I know. My mom is a sculptor and was commissioned to develop a series of statues for the re-vamped Rock and Roll McDonald's on LaSalle. She sculpted the one the closest to the main entrance - that's molded after me. She decided to give me a son (several years before I even had my first child). The whole thing is uncanny, pretty cool and still very surreal.  Another cool tidbit...my first born son actually resembles the little boy she sculpted. 

Oh...and I met Beyonce. She touched my sweater and told me I looked nice...whaattt??!!

Anything else you'd like to share?
I'd love to get acquainted with top beauty bloggers in Chicago and the Midwest. Reach out to me...let me know if you'd like to attend my workshop on March 16th and what classes you'd like to see going forward.

2 comments: